We at Ek Titli will educate approximately 60 students, at the village’s only school, on Environmental consciousness and sustainable agricultural practices. We also intend to sensitize the locals on waste management and the benefits of sustainable farming practices.
The municipality run school is located at Tulapur, a village situated around 30 kms from Pune, India on the banks of 3 rivers- Bhima, Bhama and Indrayani and is famous for the temple of Lord Shiva. In this temple – known as Sangameshwar, Sambhaji (the son of Shivaji, a great Indian king) was arrested by Aurangzeb and was later killed. His Samadhi is situated here.
The 6-8 day curriculum that is spread across 3 months will cover all aspects of both practical and theoretical know how on the environment and plants. The objective is to inculcate the feeling of love and care for Nature at a very young age.
Project Title : The School Project: Tulapur
Age Group/standard of students : standard 5 – 8
Strength of kids : ~ 60
Duration : once/twice a month for 3 months
- 9:00 am – departure from Pune
- 10:00 am – arrival at Tulapur
- 10:00 – 11:00 am – discussion with volunteers and school authorities
- 11:00 – 1:30 pm – The School Activity
- 1:30 – 2:00 pm – discussion with volunteers and school authorities
- 2:00 pm – Lunch & departure for Pune
To volunteer for this project shoot an email to editor[at]ektitli.org or call +91 9967 589 210
- Introduction to the course: what they will be taught and what they will create.
- Do it yourself (DIY): Their first sapling & composting bin
- introduce composting, ask kids to get kitchen waste for next class
- Explain various parts of the plant and their importance.
- DIY: A nature walk and identification of what was taught. Create a tree through art and craft.
- Revision and observe sapling.
- Start composting pit
- Transplant to beds
Explain the various environmental problems of today and how they, each kid, can play an important role in solving them.
- Explain importance of organic farming compared to chemicalized Farming Benefits.
- Organize a drawing contest. The kid will draw/visualize his plant that s/he planted the last week and describe its various stages of growth.
- S/he will also describe how the plant will help his/her loved ones: parents, best friend, favorite animal, etc
- talk on organic farming
- Explain the various importance and care for the plant by understanding the role of the soil, mulch, water, compost.
- Importance of health, food and practices to inculcate.
- Summarize everything, future outlook, awards, and certificates